High Legh is a parish in Cheshire, which stands on a ridge of land between the Mersey valley and the Cheshire Plain. The village name means "high meadow" or clearing, in what was once a primeval forest.
A Bronze Age axe was found at Swinyard Farm. There is evidence of Roman roads crossing this high ground to the legionary fortress at Chester, and Northwich's vital salt mines.
The 1086 "Doomsday" records show that "Lege" had a priest and a church – one of only 7 churches in Cheshire. St John’s Church, High Legh has been on its present site for over 600 years, although the present building dates from 1893.
High Legh Primary School initially opened as a primary school in 1904. That building is now the Village Hall. High Legh Primary School and Pre-School are now located in a quiet part of the village near High Legh Park Golf Course. The school has spacious grounds with its own garden and play areas.
Since 1946, the population of High Legh has almost tripled, with housing developments on the site and grounds of the two ancient Manorial Halls. Other post war developments include High Legh Garden Centre, a new Primary School and High Legh Park Golf Club.